[teampractices] Scrumbu.gs

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 29 00:56:06 UTC 2013

We've more or less standardized on Mingle for larger teams practicing
Scrum (with estimation, story status tracking and velocity tracking).
It's a fine tool and we'll likely use it for some time to come (we're
currently in the process of getting our internal install moved to a
version hosted by ThoughtWorks, pro bono). That said, it's good to
continually look at 100% open alternatives, and at how our workflows
can be more cleanly integrated.

With that in mind, I want to highlight a tool developed by Mozilla
using the Bugzilla API and the "whiteboard" field in Bugzilla:
http://scrumbu.gs/

It basically allows you to visualize a project's sprints and burndown
rate. The estimation data is handled in the whiteboard field of the
associated bugs. Not all teams use it, but I was surprised by the
level of adoption poking around the different teams -- it seems to at
least have caught on somewhat across the org.

Here's an example of an iteration:
http://scrumbu.gs/t/firefox-metro/iteration---16/

This _is_ pretty hackish, and doesn't offer the kind of backlog
management / story tracking that Mingle does, but at least provides
one piece of the puzzle if we wanted to use BZ exclusively.

Erik

--
Erik Möller