[teampractices] How deviantART organizes its work

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 27 16:30:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Quim Gil <qgil at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> As part of the WMF hiring and onboarding process, we could ask
> candidates to fix
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bugs
>
> during the interview process. Then new hires could spend their first
> weeks with a 50% time allocation to deliver one of
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Possible_projects
>
> as a way to familiarize themselves with our tools, ways of working, and
> community.
>
> If a GSoC or OPW participant can do this (we require microtasks to all
> candidates before being selected), a new full-time hire should be able to.
>
> The obviois side benefit is that our communty task queues would move
> faster, indirectly promoting new featured bugs and projects.

This is somewhat related to an idea I like a lot: trial weeks.[1]

You get to know someone, have them work on annoying little bugs or small
features that could be completed in a week. You get a much better sense of
what it's like to work with someone than in an interview or via a test. I
was actually hired at Wikimedia via a trial week, by Zack Exley in ye olde
Community Department.

1. http://www.sequoiacap.com/grove/posts/akzj/trial-week-our-hiring-secret
--
Steven Walling,