[teampractices] Experimenting with Pivotal Tracker

Tomasz Finc tfinc at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 14 20:49:05 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Luckily, we're still under the "each team does what it wants" system, so
> no forced migrations at any point, that I know of.

I think of all these tool as part of finite toolbox (unless you have a
Tardis [1]) that everyone uses. Some hammers are good for small jobs
while others are good for large jobs. At the end of the day though you
can only keep so many tools before they fall out of the toolbox. Also,
the more tools you add the more you have to train each person on how
to use them.

I'm really interested in seeing more engineers work across teams and
one thing that makes it easy is if they use the same project tracker.

Thus what I would want out of any new tool is for it to blow its
counterpart out of the water in terms of functionality so that
everyone else can't see themselves not moving. Once we see this happen
then we phase out the old tool and have multiple teams working
together to improve an existing tool.

If a team doesn't want to participate in that then its fine but then
the'll likely see fewer benefits then the teams that use the same tool
do.

I don't think were anywhere near having another tool that is as
comprehensive as Mingle or is as simple as Trello but if we find one
then lets have them battle it out.

--tomasz

[1] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS