[teampractices] Scrum-y tools based on BZ (was Re: Scrumbu.gs)

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 6 14:57:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Steven Walling <swalling at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Instead of Scrum, some teams at Mozilla use Kanban (less focus on
>> velocity, roles, rituals; more focus on just tracking ongoing work and
>> limiting work-in-progress).s
>>

> This is kind of me trolling, but I would guess that once MediaWiki changes
> to continuous deployment rather than scheduled weekly windows, Scrum's
> emphasis on time-boxed sprints formed by planning meetings will feel
> increasingly artificial and "un-agile".

Well, since you're trolling,  I'll be contrarian:

http://chrismcmahonsblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/against-kanban.html
http://chrismcmahonsblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/against-kanban-part-2.html
http://chrismcmahonsblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/against-kanban-part-3.html

These are from 2009, so maybe a bit dated, but I do think a kanban process
can be misused in ways that are much more difficult in Scrum.
-Chris