[RCom-l] Fwd: surveys by community members

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 06:07:48 UTC 2011

This is very much focussed on the model where a community member identifies
a problem area which would benefit from research, and then they want to be
paid to research it.

My concern about such applications are that you risk blurring the line
between what the community expects volunteers to do for free and what it is
willing to pay for; Also we need to be wary of pushpolling, I've already
seen research done by community members being criticised for that and I
think we need very clear rules to prevent that happening.

The advantage of an independent researcher is independence, hopefully
neutrality and if we request it a certain verifiable professional standard.
The disadvantage is that they cost money and may misunderstand the
community.

The advantages of a Wikimedian researcher are that they are presumably a
volunteer and that they understand what it is that they are studying. The
disadvantages include their possibly wanting to research an area of the
wiki that they have strong opinions on, and that they are unlikely to have
verified credentials for holding personal data for research purposes.

I really like the idea of using research to investigate some of the
problems of the community. There are several areas where community opinion
is deadlocked and independent neutral research might possibly supply the
information that could break that deadlock. But I'm uncomfortable about the
model of commissioning existing volunteers to investigate areas where they
have strong opinions. I would prefer that we have something of a Chinese
wall between topic and researcher. So community members would be welcome to
propose research projects, and also to offer to undertake research
projects, but not to be both the proposer and the performer of the same
paid for research. Or at the least we should avoid paying editors to
undertake research in an area where they are known to have strong views.

For example; The theory that I find most credible as an explanation of the
decline of the community since 2007 is the end of the "SoFixIt" culture and
its replacement by the templating culture which some consider newbie biting
and which has lead to hundreds of thousands of articles disfigured by
garish templates calling attention to problems  that somebody hopes someone
else will understand and fix. One possible partial solution to that would
be to replace some of the maintenance categories with unobtrusive hidden
categories, but to do so we need research to establish whether or not these
templates succeed in getting newbies to edit. Currently the community is
too divided as to whether we think the templates work as a call to action
for us to agree a change, but a small amount of independent research should
be able to establish which view is more correct and thereby enable the
community to make an informed consensus decision.

WSC