[RCom-l] Dataset and manuscript copyright and distribution for "Anonymity and conformity over the net"

Aaron Halfaker aaron.halfaker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:07:22 UTC 2011

Below is a message I received from one of the researchers requesting
support<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Anonymity_and_conformity_over_the_net>for
subject recruitment.  I'm forwarding his questions because I think
they
get to the point of some of our discussions about sharing datasets and the
redistribution of manuscripts produced as a result of a study.

I'd like to recommend that Michael withhold his dataset until he feels
comfortable publishing it, but I have been advising him that he is unlikely
to get scooped on the results of a survey he performed.  I don't feel
comfortable suggesting that he risk the rewards of his work against his own
judgement.

As for the reuse rights.  It seems like we have discussed this and decided
that studies that simply come to RCom for help vetting their proposed
research would not need to provide rights to distribute the manuscript.  As
a side-note, it is important that the language he references is changed to
specify that the right to "adapt" the manuscript is *not* passed on to the
Wikimedia Foundation.  I'd like to tell him that this requirement does not
apply to him since he did not receive substantial support, but on the other
hand, he research plan involves contacting a rather large amount of
Wikipedians.  Thoughts?

-Aaron