[RCom-l] Welcoming Cheryl and summary from

Dario Taraborelli dtaraborelli at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 8 00:41:57 UTC 2011

For those of you who didn't make it to the RCom meeting last Thursday, I'd like to announce that Cheryl Moy has joined the committee as a new member.
Please join me in welcoming her on board! Melanie Kill, our other new RCom candidate, couldn't make it to the meeting due to a schedule conflict but we will try to change the calendar of our meetings to allow her to participate.

We had a quite productive meeting, you fill find detailed notes at: http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/RCom201111

These are the main highlights:

Schedule of RCom meetings
Dana will run a new doodle poll to identify a new time slot for our future RCom meetings to take into account the time constraints of our new members (Melanie in particular mentioned that the current conflict is totally incompatible with her teaching commitments)

Subject recruitment
Dario and Aaron are working on new mechanisms to triage requests, have a minimum number of RCom participants in the review of each proposal, involve the community and formalize the review procedure in the case of subject recruitment requests.

Science WiR program
Cheryl, Daniel and Yaroslav will lead the development of a WiR program for research/scientific institutions broadly modeled after GLAM.

Research Index
Dario announced the redesign of the research project directory to increase the categorization of projects by various criteria.

Privacy policy review
In the context of the drafting of Wikimedia's new privacy policy, Dario will lead a consultation to engage with the wiki research community to try and understand (1) what Wikimedia data academic research would like to have access to and (2) whether these requests are compatible and can inform the drafting of the new policy

OA policy
Daniel will post a proposal to finalize

Expert participation
Dario will present new results from the expert participation survey at Science Online 2012 in a joint session with people involved in the APS initiative.

Wikimedia France research award
Rémi Bachelet and Carol Ann O'Hare from Wikimedia France are soliciting feedback from RCom on a new research award they are organizing to highlight the best research on WIkimedia projects. Please take a moment to review their proposal: http://framapad.org/Wikimedia-20France-20Research-20Award

Many thanks to everybody who participated!

Dario