[RCom-l] Proposal: Wikipedia editor panel

Dario Taraborelli dtaraborelli at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 22 23:39:38 UTC 2011

Hey Chato

nice to hear from you, your suggestion is very timely and I hope you don't mind if I forward it to RCom-l.

(everybody: Chato is a researcher based in Barcelona who recently completed a study of gender differences in Wikipedia, with Mayo as a coauthor)

Chato: we discussed extensively a similar proposal during the last RCom meeting [1] (which finished just minutes ago). The majority of RCom seemed to support the idea of a platform on which individual editors could decide to participate in research in general, in what study or type of research in particular, and with what frequency and to revoke their permission to be contacted for these types of research at any point. This solution would allow us to avoid the problem of gauging community consensus on every single subject recruitment request that we get as well as the problem of finding an appropriate recruitment method to suit everyone. We also discussed what role RCom could have in reviewing and flagging recruitment requests before they get posted to this platform. The notes of the meeting are here [2]

Melanie, Aaron and myself volunteered to start a proposal on Meta, I'd be great if we could get your input once we have a first draft.

In the meantime, enjoy your holidays!

Best,
Dario

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_Committee/Meetings/Meeting_2011-12-22