[RCom-l] The tragedy of the Commons

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:52:56 UTC 2011

Hi Mayo,

I rather suspect that there isn't consensus on this committee to restrict
researchers in their requesting community members to complete research
questionnaires. However I do think there is significant support in the
community to enforce existing spam policies on people indiscriminately
approaching wikimedians to complete research surveys.  Sarah Stierch's
survey was targetted at the small minority of editors who have self
identified as female, and the recent newpage patrol survey was supposed to
be targetted at people active in the new page patrol process.  I would
consider them to be archetypical targetted surveys by Wikimedians asking
relevant questions. Berkman by contrast was very broadly targeted, run by a
third party and not obviously relevant to Wikimedia.

I came to the conclusion that we would need some sort of throttle on
research surveying of wikimedians long before I drafted the Omnibus
proposal back in July, so the trigger for my writing that was not Berkman,
though obviously it was the trigger for resurrecting the idea. There have
been many discussions that I've seen on wiki and on the mailing lists about
various research surveys, and I'm fairly sure there is a consensus that
some research is OK provided we can control the quantity or people can opt
out of it. The difficult thing will be working out the acceptable level of
research surveying before the community considers it to have been exceeded.
Another difficulty will be to introduce a throttle system that in the
longterm both the community and the research community can live with. For
example there have been proposals in the past for an opt out or even an opt
in mechanism, I consider that such proposals would be workable from the
community's point of view, but I'm not sure that we'd get viable research
samples, especially if the research was becoming more and more intensely
targeted on a fast dwindling band of "consenting" wikimedians.

However if the rest of RCom considers that it isn't part of RCom's remit to
limit the amount of surveying by bonafide researchers, and if some of you
think that the community  is broadly accepting of research; Then perhaps
the best option would be to file an RFC on this and see what the community
thinks.

WSC