[RCom-l] The tragedy of the Commons

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 14 18:22:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM, WereSpielChequers
<werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:

> A big part of the controversy is over advertising, and I'm not convinced
> that you can design a banner ad for a third party research survey that isn't
> seen by some as advertising for that third party.

I'm sure that's true. I do wonder, though, how strong that opposition
would be with a banner that identifies the Wikimedia-affiliation more
clearly, eliminates any non-Wikimedia logos, links to an FAQ, and is
sensibly implemented from a privacy standpoint.

Note that you can preview any banner by appending the CentralNotice ID
to a Wikipedia URL like so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_lockout?banner=MumbaiHackathon

I suggest that we do build an invitation that addresses all concerns
that aren't fundamental, and that we use the above mechanism to really
get some broad feedback on a revised approach before drawing too many
conclusions about what people might/might not oppose.

--
Erik Möller