[RCom-l] The tragedy of the Commons

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 18:30:44 UTC 2011

I'm comfortable with a meeting next week, but I think that the community
and our research partners will want to hear something in the meantime.
There would also be a benefit if we could hold some on wiki discussions as
to the Omnibus survey or any other option.

Clearly one of our options would be to run an RFC to seek consent of the EN
wiki community for us to resume Berkman and run similar things in the
future. But even if we promised some sort of vanilla  advert for it I doubt
we would get consensus or anything close.

We could probably get consensus for an opt in research system so that those
who wanted to could subscribe to some sort of research mailing list of
questionnaires. But I don't think that opt in would give us the volume that
researchers are likely to want and I fear we'd have skews.

If anyone can think of an alternative option I would suggest creating a
draft such as I have at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Omnibus_Survey so that we and the
community can consider it.

Another way to defuse current tension would be for Rcomm  to invite a
couple of the people who have been arguing against the Berkman survey to
join us in our meeting next week.

Regards

WSC