[QA] Puppet and ganglia

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Mon May 9 20:35:40 UTC 2016

Hello,

Ganglia is a monitoring tool which Wikimedia uses in production but is
not available on labs.

On the beta cluster and CI infrastructures, I have mass purged the
packages and removed /etc/ganglia/ directories entirely.

The result is that whenever a puppet class ends up trying to inject a
custom ganglia plugin, it will fail either because /etc/ganglia or
ganglia-monitor package are not around.

I believe the fix is to monkey patch the puppet manifest to skip ganglia
related section whenever $::standard::has_ganglia is False.

I have sent and cherry picked a couple patches for the 'apache' and
'hhvm' modules already:

  https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/287695/
  https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/287743/

So if you any related failures, you most probably can follow that path.

Tracked under https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T134808

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso