[QA] follow-ing up on iOS CI next steps (finally)

Brian Gerstle bgerstle at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 23 22:14:21 UTC 2015

Thanks for looping in QA, should've asked which list (just didn't want to
blast both QA + RelEng).

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> <quote name="Brian Gerstle" date="2015-06-15" time="18:47:47 -0400">
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Sorry for the *long* delay on this, but do you have time this week to
> talk
> > about how we can move forward with iOS CI?  In particular, I'd want to
> > answer:
> >
> >    1. Where do we get OS X build slaves? (DIY, VPS, Travis, etc.)
>
> Whatever third party service, I guess, as discussed in Lyon.

Well, that depends. As stated, we need:

   - an insecure environment (with simulator-based testing only) for
   continuous integration
   - a secure environment for deploying code-signed packages
   - (eventually) an environment that runs tests on physical devices (i.e.
   DIY or SauceLabs)

What setup we choose for which environment depends on who's working on it
(and how much time they can commit). I setup my fork of the Wikipedia GH
repo with Travis a while back if anyone's interested.  Last build was green
<https://travis-ci.org/bgerstle/apps-ios-wikipedia>, and it *should* still
work (including code coverage reports).

> >    2. How much support can we get with slave-related tasks (i.e. things
> >    that aren't directly related to the iOS project)?
>
> Like what?

Mainly connecting our build slave to Gerrit
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T102545>, but also setting up IRC &
email notifications for build results.  The latter are lower priority and
can probably be figured out on our own, but of course having someone from
QA pair with us would expedite it.