[QA] My first browser tests in VisualEditor

Vikas Yaligar vikasyaligar.it at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 08:14:32 UTC 2014

Hello,

My mentor(Amir Aharoni) in GSOC had assigned me a task of writing browser
test for one of the task in VisualEditor Help Guide[1]. Then Chris
suggested me to work on references_features. He notified me about an
awesome patch[2] which was about to be merged that time, which made tests
run faster. Here are the steps I followed:

* Confirmed my idea of running tests for "Using an existing references in
VisualEditor" with Chris.

* Even though I had written 1 test previously on qa-browsertest repository,
the VisualEditor was different because of it's complexity.

* First thing I wanted to check was if there is a reference link in the VE
or not. To do that I thought I will use <sup> element. But that lead to a
ugly code[3] and I got confused with presence of _elements(I saw it in some
stackoverflow).

* Then Chris gave me some link[4] to study about page object elements.

* Then Chris suggested me to use <a>text:"[1]" with index to identify both
of the link.

* He also gave some more resources regarding watir-webdriver[5][6].

* After getting done with my test seemed to fail:

on(VisualEditorPage).second_reference_element.should be_visible

But Chris corrected me by adding when_present:

on(VisualEditorPage).second_reference_element.when_present.should be_visible

* Finally test shows green :) and I also changed my test to make sure that
those were failing if I changed it to should_not

* I remembered Ċ½eljko's comment for my previous commit and made sure that
it works for both test2.wikipedia.org and en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org (as
it had respective tags of it). Also corrected my spaces in code and added
firefox tag to it.

Finally my code in gerrit[7].

Thank you Chris for teaching me these thing :)

-

[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:VisualEditor/User_guide

[2]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/120832/

[3]: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/vikas_ve/timeslider#237