[QA] future of gadget tests from qa/browsertest repo

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Jun 30 22:33:30 UTC 2014

On 06/30/2014 11:56 AM, Chris McMahon wrote:

> We have two tests in the /qa/browsertests repo, and Matt wants to know
> what is going to happen to them: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/142359/
>
> Tests for gadget certainly don't belong in /mediawiki/core.
>
> Since gadgets are not in gerrit (or under source control at all) we
> can't assign them to a repo.

Some of them are, e.g. ProveIt (https://github.com/proveit-js/proveit)
and Twinkle (https://github.com/azatoth/twinkle).

However, it's true there's no official support for this in MediaWiki
(beyond the standard MediaWiki page revisions, which are not suitable
for software), nor do I know of a home in Gerrit.

P.S. ProveIt is a personal project for me, so I use
matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu .

I understand continuous integration is probably not feasible.  Periodic
runs against some wiki with it installed (e.g. test2wiki, as noted) to
detect regressions seems more feasible, until there is true support for
version-controlled gadgets (i.e. integrated with the gadget extension,
and ideally our continuous integration infrastructure).

Matt Flaschen