[QA] Tests for MediaWiki vs beta

Chris McMahon cmcmahon at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 17 14:50:23 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Chris Steipp <csteipp at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi, I'm pretty new at Selenium and ruby, but I'm working on getting some
> tests to work against our MediaWiki release branches, so we can have
> automated regression testing for our releases.
>
> I've noticed that a lot of the tests in the browsertest repo are written
> for certain configurations, typically what's on beta labs. As a result,
> these tests don't work on a fresh install of MediaWiki. For example,
> several tests that look for an "Edit" link look for "Edit source", i.e. VE
> is installed.

You're right, historically these tests have been intended for use in beta
labs and test2wiki, shared test environments where we control the test data
like page contents, users, etc.

But now there is a lot more demand to use these tests on bare wikis and in
development environments.  To support that we are doing a couple of things

* I am in the process of identifying a set of existing tests that should
pass in a bare wiki.  I intend to have this list published and the relevant
tests marked before February.
* We are creating a utility method to create test data at run time via the
Mediawiki API.  The first iteration of this will create pages with
particular titles and particular content.  We will also do this for users
(although creating users will not work on public-facing wikis like beta
labs and test2wiki).  We intend to make it simple to be sure that pages and
users relevant to the test will always exist in the target wiki, whether
that wiki is a shared env like beta or test2wiki, a newly-installed
Mediawiki wiki, or anything in between.  The first pass at this is pretty
fragile right now, but it exists at
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/106548/ .  Jeff and I will be meeting
next week to build it out some.