[QA] bugzilla and needs-test

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 15 22:25:27 UTC 2014

Observation 1:
We have test-writing related keywords in Bugzilla:
* need-integration-test
* need-parsertest
* need-unittest

Obvservation 2:
Without hard data to back up my claim, I feel like a large number of
bugs reported are fixed but do not also include a test to the
functionality. I might just be missing them. I don't think I am (at
least always); I think they just aren't created. That's kind of the
standard way of developing, right? ;)

Suggestion:
We use some kind of way of tracking this. Maybe not every bug fix needs
an associated test, but I'd like to believe it is more than the
ridiculously low percentage number that we are doing now. We might not
use all of those current keywords (maybe just "needs-test" and let the
dev team/QA person on point for that team figure it out). We can figure
that part out later.

Thoughts?
Is this too cumbersome? Does anyone have experience with trying to
accomplish something similar with a different group of engineers (both
"dev" and "QA", where/if those are separate roles). We don't really have
the bandwidth to start this in earnest right now, but should we start
mulling it over?

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |