[QA] Overhauling 'recheck' in Gerrit

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Wed Apr 16 20:24:39 UTC 2014

Hello,

TL;DR: make 'recheck' by a whitelisted user to triggers tests jobs

Gerrit/Zuul have a hidden feature which is that one can comment
'recheck' on a change in Gerrit and that reenqueue the Change in the
Zuul 'check' pipeline.

That pipeline is meant to run linting checks which are fast whereas the
actual tests are run in a 'test' pipeline.

>From time to time people are using 'recheck' and wondering why only the
lint jobs are being run.

I have upgraded Zuul today and we can slightly enhance the way changes
are added to pipelines.  My proposal would be to have 'recheck' to
trigger the test jobs, ie the one in the 'test' pipeline.  The drawback
is that non whitelisted user would no more be able to use it but I dont
think it provided any added value.

That would save people from having to create a new patchset (via rebase,
or commit summary editing) and should save a bunch of time overall.

Similarly, we could add a 'regate' comment that would enqueue the change
if it has been already voted CR+2.  Letting anyone resubmit a change
without having CR+2 rights.