[QA] Resolving editing conflicts for jobs run via CloudBees

Jeff Hall jhall at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 18 00:24:57 UTC 2013

I don't see this too often, but every once in a while, browser tests run
via CloudBees (Jenkins) will fail because of an "edit conflict".  Example[1]

This seems to be a consequence of the "Chrome version" and the "Firefox
version" of browser tests running against the same target environment at
the same time.

Near as I can tell, we schedule the test jobs from a template[2] so that
they all kick off at the same times twice a day:

     <hudson.triggers.TimerTrigger>
       <spec>0 3,18 * * *</spec>
     </hudson.triggers.TimerTrigger>

In a previous position where I used Jenkins, we staggered the kick-off
times for each individual job in order to try and avoid these type of
conflicts.  Since I see these conflicts infrequently via the WMF
CloudBees instance, it may not be worth the trouble of unwinding our
current scheduling trigger, but if anyone else has brilliant ideas on
resolving these conflicts in some other way, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Jeff

[1]
https://saucelabs.com/jobs/33cdfcc91a3843bc83aa5598b8e06ecf/0010screenshot.png