[QA] [Wikitech-ambassadors] New search backend live on mediawiki.org

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 12:00:45 UTC 2013

Awesome update.

Nikolas Everett, 28/08/2013 20:21:
> Today we threw the big lever and turned on our new search backend at
> mediawiki.org <http://mediawiki.org>.  It isn't the default yet but it
> is just about ready for you to try.  [...]
> 2.  The relative weighting of matches is going to be different.  We're
> still fine tuning this and we'd appreciate any anecdotes describing
> search results that seem out of order.

I'm not very imaginative and I have no idea what queries to test,
especially when it comes to language-specific searches (that we probably
be able to test some time soon on beta.wmflabs.org language subdomains?).
I know from
<http://laxstrom.name/blag/2012/02/13/exploring-the-states-of-open-source-search-stack-supporting-finnish/>
that it's possible to get corpuses of actual search queries. It would be
nice to have some extract, or whatever is easy to produce, to have some
ideas of stuff to test and improve our anecdotal assessment of the
search results quality.
Other ideas may come from previous bugs, I guess. :S
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&component=lucene-search-2&component=MWSearch&component=Search>

> [...]
> 6.  incategory:"category with spaces" isn't working. (Bug 53415)

Does it work on categories not directly mentioned on the page? It may
considered an obvious yes as you are indexing expanded templates, just
checking. (You probably want to avoid that exceptions in templates
indexing break this feature.)

> What we've changed that you probably don't care about:
> 1.  Updating search in bulk is much more slow then before.  This is the
> cost of expanding templates.
> 2. Search is now backed by a horizontally scalable search backend that
> is being actively developed (Elasticsearch) so we're in a much better
> place to expand on the new solution as time goes on.
>
> Neat stuff if you run your own MediaWiki:
> CirrusSearch is much easier to install than our current search
> infrastructure.

Yay! :) Maybe people on mediawiki-l would like to test it too.

Nemo