[QA] Volunteer QA (was: my blog entry is up)

Rachel Thomas rachelqa99 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 21:10:40 UTC 2013

Hello Anil,

What are you interested in doing in the practice testing sessions?  I am
trying to get a feel for where you are at with regards to testing, and
specifically with regards to testing in our Wikimedia environment.  The
person I did the session with had been to our QA automation workshop, and
also had all the proper software packages already installed.

Are you interested in manual testing (exploratory testing) or automation
testing?  For manual testing, I suggest you try testing one of our new
features, such as Visual Editor.  When you find bugs, you can report them
in Bugzilla, so you can learn how to use our bug tracking tool.  Chris
provided you with a link to the new features being deployed in one of his
previous emails, so you can pick a feature you want to manually test, if
not Visual Editor.  Manually testing would be a good first step as you can
get familiar with the Wikmedia environment/

For automation testing, you need to get your user environment set up first
with all the proper software such as Git, Gerrit. Cucumber, Ruby.  You need
to do that first before you can work on writing scripts.  There is a Readme
file in our QA documentation that will explain the setup.

What it boils down to is that you will need to spend some time digging in
and setting up your own user environment, and also familiarizing yourself
with using wikis and some of the wiki features.  I can help you along the
way if you have any questions.

--Rachel

*Gnome FOSS Outreach Program for Women Intern
Browser Test Automation, Wikimedia Foundation*

Notes from the Bleeding Edge <http://www.bleededge.blogspot.com/>

Do you have any open position for Volunteer QA Tester. I would like to
volunteer and do some practice testing sessions since I am new to QA
Testing.

Thanks
Anil