[Pywikipedia-l] Request for feedback on rewrite branch

Russell Blau russblau at imapmail.org
Thu Sep 2 17:09:09 UTC 2010

Bináris wrote:

> A few questions about the rewrite branch, returning to an old thread:

> 1. What is the actual situation, can we easily install the rewrite branch?

Yes.  See #4

> 2. Is it a working bot, is it worth to use?

It depends on what you are doing with your bot.  I use it for almost all my
bots now; [[w:en:User:RussBot]] runs entirely under the rewrite branch.
However, not all of the bot scripts have been converted yet.  Also, the
rewrite does not yet support XML dump parsing (although this should be a
fairly trivial problem to fix), and because it relies on the API, it cannot
do anything the API is not yet enabled for (like retrieving the contents of
Special:DoubleRedirects and many other special pages).

> 3. What ideas do you have about the date of change to new version?

The sooner the better.  The longer we have two working branches, the more
they are going to get out of synch with each other.

> 4. Is http://www.botwiki.sno.cc/wiki/Rewrite/Conversion_HOWTO#Installation
> still correct and actual?

It is correct, but not entirely up to date.  You should be able to install
the bot now by running "python setup.py install" in the directory to which
you download the bot files.

Russ