[Pywikipedia-l] [ pywikipediabot-Bugs-2158249 ] weblinkchecker.py doesn't report archive.org links anymore

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 21 21:48:40 UTC 2008

Bugs item #2158249, was opened at 2008-10-11 00:01
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by wikipedian
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=603138&aid=2158249&group_id=93107

not just the latest update.
Category: other
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Weblinkchecker does not report archive.org links anymore. On my run on Sept 26, it still reported the archive links, on Oct 3 weblinkchecker reported not a single (from several hundred dead links on that run).

For example http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.gruene-muenchen.de/landesverband.6417.0.html is available, but is no reported on http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diskussion:Theresa_Schopper

During the run weblinkchecker gives the output:

Consulting the Internet Archive for http://www.gruene-muenchen.de/landesverband.6417.0.html

python version.py
Pywikipedia [http] trunk/pywikipedia (r5945, Oct 10 2008, 11:16:07)
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Oct  5 2008, 19:24:49)
[GCC 4.3.2]

Date: 2008-10-21 23:48

Message:
Fixed.

The reason was that the Internet Archive now uses GZIP compression.
urllib2 doesn't handle the decompression for us, so we have to do it
ourselves.