[Pywikipedia-l] Welcome.py and SUL accounts

Herman Ferre herman at ferre.no
Wed May 28 08:34:16 UTC 2008

Hi! I¹m not sure whether this is the right way to post a message to the
list, my experience with mailing lists is ehh... absent. ;)

Yesterday, when SUL became available for all users, Special:Log/newusers was
flooded with new usernames created automatically. I run a welcome.py bot and
I discovered that the bot welcomes all the automatically created users as
well, i.e. giving welcome messages to people that don¹t even know the
language. That¹s a waste. Would it be possible to do one of the following
things?

  1. Making the bot see the difference between automatically created users
and ignoring them
  2. Making the bot see the difference between automatically created users
and give them a separate welcome template

Thanks!

‹ [[w:no:user:H92]]