[WikimediaMobile] Android 3 & 4-style layout mockups

Tomasz Finc tfinc at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 12 11:31:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Brion Vibber <bvibber at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I was reading up on Android 3 & 4's 'action bar' (sorta replaces the older
> menu styles) and got inspired to make some mockups for a layout for the app
> that might fit in better on Android 3 (Honeycomb) tablets and Android 4
> (Ice Cream Sandwich) phones.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mobile_mockups_for_Android_style

Neat. I'm liking that were starting to look closer to what Holo Android
users are going to expect

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/01/holo-everywhere.html

> Any thoughts? I included a tablet mockup using sidebar space for keeping
> the search/history/saved pages lists open, and also experimented with a
> 'table of contents' drop-down (not fully pictured). These are just image
> mockups for now, nothing live or usable. :)

What about having the toc load from the far right side? During the design
guild meeting I was shown an awesome demo where a Wikipedia page had the
toc hidden on the side and opened up when the user clicked on the far left.
You would then select the part of the article you'd want and it
would disappear. It worked great. Sadly the demo of it is down :(

> The split-style mockup (with bars at both top and bottom to make more
> items available) might also be a good base for an iOS design, where we'd
> need the toolbar space more actively since there's not a standard menu
> convention.

+1 for iOS

--tomasz