[WikimediaMobile] Third release candidate of the Wikipedia Android app

Tomasz Finc tfinc at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 22 22:44:16 UTC 2011

Greetings All,

Hot of the presses we have RC3 ready for you! Everyone has been doing
a kick ass job squashing bugs and preparing for our app to be ready
for Global Dev on 1/13/12. With this update you'll see stability
fixes, font size preferences, google maps tile fixes, and generalized
cleanup all over the place. Were nearing the end of the RC's here. I'm
planning for RC4 to have any fixes related to locale/language testing
and perhaps one after for final fixes before we ship 1.0 .

For those that just want to get going please first UNINSTALL the app.
In order to fix one of our bugs we had to inclue a breaking change.

http://dumps.wikimedia.org/android/WikipediaMobile-RC3.apk (MD5
a2e9f3818a43891818977a56db135c39)

Were no longer attaching the APK as some folks told me that this email
got to be a bit big with with it. If you want me to send it to you
then just let know. Were also really close to being able to offer
nightly builds of the app so that you can download a bleeding edge
version without needing to wait for us.

Key points to test (mostly same as before)

* Browse as you would normally do on WIFI, 2G, 3G, & no connectivity
* Save an article that your on and then load it as a saved page.
Delete that saved page.
** Go into airplane mode and load the saved article. Follow a link
* Open your browsing history and load a previous page
* Tap 'near me' and browse articles. Move the map and tap 'redo search
in this area'
* Share a link with someone on twitter or facebook* Changing your
language preference in the Settings menu
* Use a phone that is in a non US local to test other languages like:
Hebrew, Japanese, Arabic, etc
* Change the font size settings to 'Small' & 'Larger'
* .. and whatever else you may want try out

Items fixed or updated since RC2

* Wikipedia Android app should have a better no search results page
* W goes to English home page, even when in another language
* Wikipedia Android app sometimes shows old home page
* "Share" feature should send the canonical/desktop form of link
instead of *.m.wikipedia.org
* Wikipedia Android app is stuck when triggering 'Jump back to a
section' from cache
* Wikipedia Android app 'W' triggers any content beneath it
* Wikipedia Android app doesn't surface disambiguation page for 'Go'
* Internationalize all messages in Android Phonegap app
* Wikipedia Android app can't save the same article in multiple languages
* Menu doesn't work with PhoneGap 1.3.0 on Android 4.0 (ICS)
* Android app should cache recent non-saved pages when offline
* Nearby me does not go to article right away
* Application won't remember home page as last visited page
* Fix Wikipedia icon in Android app
* Move Add Bookmark into Bookmarks, change bookmarks to "Saved Pages"
* If current page is already saved, grey out 'Save Page' menu item
* Search box does not always appear to be active
* We're using up all of our GeoNames.org queries
* It's difficult to tap into the search box
* PhoneGap app needs to show visual feedback when clicking the W 'home' button
* Android app doesn't allow search when webview overlaps with an image
* Android app 'cache' branch: keeps forgetting what page I left off on
* Android app 'cache' branch: crash during navigation
* Application should default to user/phone locale
* Android app nearby me should allow user to redo search after map move
* Android app draws UI elements too small on Android 4.0 Ice Cream
Sandwich hdpi/240dpi display
* Android app should allow pinch and zoom or variable font sizes
* Android app should always cache the main page
* Provide nightly .apk builds of Android app for testers

Known issues

* Search box doesn't always have a blinking cursor
* Saving pages can be slow

Feedback page is still here @
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/WikipediaMobileAndroidFeedback
(edit away)

As before there are bound to be bugs but don't think that someone will
file them for you. If you don't file it then chances are that we wont
know its an issue. If your not sure of wether its a bug or not then
come join us on #wikimedia-mobile (freenode) and we'll sort it out.

thanks!

--tomasz