[Mediawiki-l] Upgrade to 1.18

Jeffrey T. Darlington jeff at gpf-comics.com
Tue Nov 29 18:25:47 UTC 2011

On 11/29/2011 12:31 PM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
> Sounds like you upgraded MediaWiki by extracting 1.18 on top of 1.17
> instead of extracting 1.18 to a new directory then moving the config and
> other stuff to the new directory. And have an old StartProfiler.php.

I can't speak for Gordon, but that is indeed what I did:  I extracted
the 1.18 tarball on top of the existing 1.17 directory.  This has
usually worked well enough for me in the past, so I tried to repeat what
worked before.

Unfortunately, I'm still having terrible luck.  I extracted 1.18 into a
clean directory, copied over LocalSettings.php and my images folder (I
have no extensions installed so I skipped that), and recreated my
customized MonoBook skin.  (For the skin, I copied the core MonoBook
class file and made my tweaks to insert ads, AddThis, etc.  For the
monobook resource folder, I use symbolic links to all the files except
the main.css, which I copied over and made one tweak to the background
image.)  However, my wiki is still white-screening with the following
errors in the Apache log:

[Tue Nov 29 13:09:09 2011] [error] [client {my-ip}] "" is not a valid
magic word for "canonicalurl", referer:
{domain-name}/wiki/Special:SpecialPages
[Tue Nov 29 13:09:09 2011] [error] [client {my-ip}] "" is not a valid
magic word for "canonicalurle", referer:
{domain-name}/wiki/Special:SpecialPages
[Tue Nov 29 13:09:09 2011] [error] [client {my-ip}] PHP Fatal error:
Call to a member function getGroup() on a non-object in
{path-to-wiki}/includes/OutputPage.php on line 2958, referer:
{domain-name}/wiki/Special:SpecialPages
[Tue Nov 29 13:10:07 2011] [error] [client {my-ip}] "" is not a valid
magic word for "canonicalurl"
[Tue Nov 29 13:10:07 2011] [error] [client {my-ip}] "" is not a valid
magic word for "canonicalurle"
[Tue Nov 29 13:10:07 2011] [error] [client {my-ip}] PHP Fatal error:
Call to a member function getGroup() on a non-object in
{path-to-wiki}/includes/OutputPage.php on line 2958

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I use the "short URLs" setup using
Apache mod_rewrite.  The relative URL /wiki/Special:SpecialPages worked
well enough under 1.17.1 and below.

I have *NEVER* had this much trouble upgrading MediaWiki.  At this
point, I'm probably going to throw in the towel.  I can get 1.17.1 to
work fine, so I'm reverting back to that.  As much as I'd like to have
the latest version installed, I can't afford this much down-time, or the
time I've spent on this upgrade that I really need to be working on
other projects.

- --

Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault