[Mediawiki-l] Thumbnailer error on large file

Dan Nessett dnessett at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 18:17:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010 19:32:40 +0200, Platonides wrote:

> Dan Nessett wrote:
>> We are getting a thumbnailer error on a png file of 16 Mpx. This error
>> is: "Error creating thumbnail: Invalid thumbnail parameters". It
>> appears there is an upper bound limitation somewhere, since Wikipedia
>> has a similar problem (e.g., see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>> Category:Old_Ordnance_Survey_map_images).
>>
>> Is this a hard limit due to limitations of Imagemagick or is there a
>> global that controls the upper bound on image size that the thumbnailer
>> can handle?
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgMaxImageArea
>
> ImageMagick isn't limited AFAIK. If it has not enough machine memory, it
> will start using files as swap (or perhaps the OOM killer gets
> launched).

Changed the value of $wgMaxImageArea to 2.5e7 and tried again. The error
message is eliminated, but the thumbnail is missing (a completely
transparent thumbnail is displayed). The base file is a 4kx4k px (15.2
MB) png file. Any idea why Imagemagick fails to produce a valid (600x600
px) thumbnail? If not, any hints how to chase down the problem?

Dan

--
-- Dan Nessett