[Mediawiki-l] Wrong database, maybe

Raymond Wan r.wan at aist.go.jp
Thu Mar 11 01:56:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

Platonides wrote:
>> So, what I did was change the database and the MySQL system to utf8.  But then the database also has
>> to be converted and this failed miserably for me.  I followed these steps:
>>
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Convert_latin1_to_UTF-8_in_MySQL
>>
>> which did not work (more specifically, the "Convert dump" step).
>
> That's wrong. Even when the database shows charset=latin1, mediawiki
> stores utf8 inside.
> So you shouldn't have tried to convert the content, that would have
> broken it.

Oh...I see -- thanks for this!

Then I guess there are two combinations:  Mediawiki with latin1 MySQL ; Mediawiki with UTF MySQL.
What are the advantages / disadvantages of either choice?

I *guess* that if someone were to login to mysql directly, and did a SELECT, then the UTF would look
like gibberish.  Likewise when a dump is done of the data.  Of course, neither "problem" affects
Mediawiki's functionality...

Any other pros/cons?

Thanks!

Ray