[Mediawiki-l] Reading contents from file to speed up development on localhost...

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 21:14:54 UTC 2010

Antonio Orlando wrote:
> Hallo to all of you there.
>
> I'm trying to have a way to speed up development of the initial setup of
> my wiki before moving to the remote server. I mean, I want to do and see
> changes in a wiki page with *just* the following steps (not one more!):
>
> 1) edit a file in my favourite text editor
>
> 2) Alt-TAB to the web browser window with the wiki page shown
>
> 3) press F5
>
> (Of course this can also be reduced to just two steps if a keyboard
> shortcut is configured to focus on the web browser window and force a page
> refresh).
>
> Summying up, what I would like to accomplish is editing all (or almost
> all) the wiki by editing plain .txt files, with all the wiki pages on
> localhost containing just the custom magic word
> "__GET_CONTENT_FROM_FILE__" (or a {{gcff:}} functions, or whatever).

Too much complex. I'd use a background process with an inotify to the
files folder which imported the .txt whenever you change the file.

May I ask what has your favourite text editor that misses mediawiki one?
The usual procedure is to write the pages in the browser edit window,
and press Preview to see the changes.