[Mediawiki-l] RSS feeds problem

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sat Mar 6 16:56:22 UTC 2010

Our wiki uses Mediawiki 1.14, soon to be updated to 1.16.  From the day we
updated to 1.14 the RSS feed has been problematic, often sending as many as 30
entries for one new one, resulting in each entry being repeated many times.
The number of false entries appears to be related to the number of changes
that have been made in a period of time, probably 24 hours, which suggests to
me that it's sending a cache or a queue that doesn't get cleared.

I tried the Atom feed, and have had no problems with it whatsoever.  However,
Atom feeds are not as well known as RSS ones, and that leaves us with a
quandary.  Do we continue to offer a broken feed?  Sooner or later someone is
going to ask us why it's not fixed, since we know it to be broken.  If we
don't, users will ask us why we don't offer the best-known feed.

How have others resolved the issue?

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group