[Mediawiki-l] developer

Brian J Mingus Brian.Mingus at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jul 15 16:47:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Misha Zaitzeff <misha.zaitzeff at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello, I hope I'm not being inappropriate posting to these lists, but
> I'm looking to hire a mediawiki expert on a consulting/freelance basis
> to help me with a project.
>
> I am developing a website that will serve as a directory for real
> estate agents (essentially one page per agent).  I'm looking for
> somebody to do the following for me:
> *Set up the mediawiki software on a server

- This is extremely easy, you could be done with it in a couple of hours.
Visit the MediaWiki FAQ for tips on configuring it. Use my Extension Matrix
for customizing it.

> *Help design layout of appropriate templates and other add-ons

- You can just copy the templates and layout from a wiki with a config that
you already like using copy/paste and Special:ExpandTemplates where needed.

> *Write scripts for pywikipediabot, and use it to translate data into the
> wiki

- mwclient is easier to use and much faster than pywikipediabot, which has
significant overhead. Writing a mediawiki bot using mwclient is around 10
lines of python for the simplest cases.

> *Assist in writing scripts to datamine the web for real estate agent
> information

BeautifulSoup makes scraping websites very, very easy. You can quickly
become proficient enough to write scrapers in about 5 minutes of analyzing a
site's html.

> Please email me to discuss the project further.

Bottom line: You can have your wiki set up in a weekend.

Brian