[Mediawiki-l] Problem with animated GIF scaling

Thomas Larsen larsen.t at basicprogramming.org
Sat Dec 25 09:17:25 UTC 2010

Hello:

I have a wiki running MediaWiki 1.18alpha. ImageMagick 6.6.6-5 is
enabled on the server, and so far images on the wiki have been scaled
and thumbnailed correctly.

However, I have a number of animated GIFs, and they are not resized
properly. In other words, [[Image:Foo.gif|#px]] will cause:

(1) a missing image sign to appear in placed of scaled animations
where #px is *smaller* than the original dimensions of the animation
(2) a working animation (albeit scaled on the client's side, which is
not ideal) for animations where #px is greater than or equal to the
original dimensions.

See http://knowino.org/w/index.php?title=File_talk:Test.gif&oldid=5330
for an example.

(By the way, running "php maintenance/eval.php" and entering "print
$wgMaxAnimatedGifArea" yields 20000000, after I upped the limit from
12500000. The animation is definitely under that size---a mere
100x100x2-frames = total area of 20000.)

I would like all GIF-animation scaling to be performed by the server.
Any ideas on why this isn't happening?

Cheers,
Tom.

--