[Mediawiki-l] [upload error]I have tried many times and spend lots of time on it, still cannot solve it. Could anyone give me some help, please?

yi wang wangyi2412 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 04:07:52 UTC 2009

Dear all,

       I am a new user of mediawiki. It is really good. But I can met a
upload problem, which I tried my best effort on it, but still cannot be
solved. Could anyone give me a hand? Thank you very much!

*Description*:

environment:
windows xp, apahce2.2.14, php 5.3.0, mysql 5.1

*phenomenon*:
       When I click the "Upload file" to upload a local file,for example
"Winter.jpg", I get such error "Could not rename file
"C:\WINDOWS\Temp\php*.tmp" to "public/Winter.jpg". on the
http://localhost/mediawiki/index.php/Special:Upload special page. Every time
I try, the * in the error info are different characters. And a new empty dir
called "archive" in the uploads dir in the mediawiki dir, which I set in the
var $wgUploadDirectory, is added. And no file called php*.tmp is found in
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\

*doubts:*
       I googled, almost all thread say it is because the rights to the
upload directory is not enough. I have following doults:
1
I set the upload dir in the localsettings.php to be the child dir "uploads"
in mediawiki in the web root other than some 'public' in the error info. So
I guess is there somewhere the wiki assume the destionation of upload files?
And how to alter it? Won't just the setting of $wgUploadDirectory in the
localsettings.php effect?

2
I check the upload dir in the sequrity page in the property, there are 4
roles: administrator, creator owner, system, users. And all the right they
have is identical to the conf dir in the mediawiki dir, which the config
info have already written into. But the conf dir has an extra role called
"wy", which have the administror's rights and is the login account I use. So
I added the one to the uploads dir, but I cannnot change its right to
include "wirte"---I checked the box in front of the write and clicked
"apply", but when I check it again, I find nothing is changed.

This have made me mad, spending lots of time on it! Could anyone give me a
light?

Thank you very much!

Best wishes,