[Mediawiki-l] Default path settings

Ichiro Watanabe veryfurryfur at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:32:58 UTC 2009

> This issue was raised last there. Someone wrote in with a very nice email
about some things need to be put in
> LocalSettings.php if for no other purpose than helping newbies learn. Logo
path was one of these that
> should not have been droped from LocalSettings.php because it has to be
explained over and over and over
> again, as this message thread shows.

Hi there,

I am the one who started this section

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual_talk:$wgStylePath#This_is_fucked_up

I installed MediaWiki recently, and I am very confused by these purported
"default" values. While I would welcome a (re)introduction of $wgLogo in
LocalSettings.php, I suspect that this would not solve the root cause of the
confusion.

I think the key problem is that sometimes what is documented as "default value"
of some variables does not correspond to the value of those variables in
LocalSettings.php, which is what I (and apparently many other people) expected.

So, for example, it is confusing to document that the default value of
$wgStylePath is "{$wgScriptPath}/skins", because this is not (yet?) the case in
LocalSettings.php, unless one explicitly assigns that value to the variable.

I really hope that either this gets "fixed" or the documentation is clarified.

Thank you.