[Mediawiki-l] Please help testing the newly developed usability improvement features

Naoko Komura nkomura at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 29 23:42:05 UTC 2009

Dear MW developers and users:

Wikipedia Usability Initiative team is preparing to release the first
set of usability improvement
<http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Releases#Acai> in the upcoming MW
release.  For those of you have already given great feedback in response
to the announcement in the tech blog last week, thank you.  In addition
to staging in five languages in the prototype site
<http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Prototype>, the new features are
now enabled on test.wikipedia.org.  New features are default in
prototypes, but they need to be manually enabled in preference for
test.wikipedia.org.  One-step opt-in/out switch is on its way, and will
be enabled on test.wikipedia.org later.  In the mean time, if you want
to try out the new skin and the tool bar, please go to "Appearance" and
select "Vector", and go to "Editing" and select "Enable enhanced editing
toolbar".

Known issues are problems supporting RTL for IE5-7 and FF1-2.  We are
still addressing the issues carefully so that we do not break the
compatibility of other browsers.  The current compatibility status can
be found here
<http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Releases/Acai/Compatibility_Matrix>.

It would be great if you can check it out and give us more feedback.  We
are gathering feedback in this page
<http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Prototype>, but if you find
something horribly broken, please file them in bugzilla
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi> directly.

Thanks for you your help in advance.

- Naoko

Usability Initiative <http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>