[Mediawiki-l] What is the ideal width for a Mediawiki skin?

Ekompute .info ekompute at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 07:20:03 UTC 2009

Hi Katharina, thank you very much for your kind comments. I was not thinking
of blowing up the banner to fill the whole screen. I think this size for the
logo is about right, or maybe add another
10%. I was thinking of having a colored banner so that it doesn't look
too plain. Maybe adding some graphics on the right. I have 8 Mediawiki
sites using this same skin
that I tried to develop with the help of this forum. Sometimes just changing
the color as in
Dummipedia.com<http://dummipedia.com/Gone_with_the_Wind_%28film%29>
.
Yes, regarding the menu bar. I agree with you that the red is hard to read.
But as all my websites have no other contributors except yours truly, I
didn't thought it was a problem. On the contrary, those are empty pages so
if visitors do not see the words, it may actually turn out to be better for
them, LOL.

PM Poon

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Katharina Wolkwitz <wolkwitz at fh-swf.de>wrote:

> Hi Poon,
>
> I like the banner the way it is - on the left side of the screen. Zooming
> it to
> fill the whole screen-width would "blow it up" too much.
>
> But I've got a visibility problem with your menu-bar. The red menu-items
> are
> very hard to see on the dark green background. I guess people with limited
> sight
> or those with red green (colour) deficiency might have problems seeing
> those
> items at all.
>
> Best wishes
> Katharina
>

> Ekompute .info schrieb am 13.08.2009 20:47:
> > Hi Mike, my website is http://dummipedia.org
> >
> > I am referring to the topmost row.
> >
> > Regards,
> > PM Poon