[Mediawiki-l] Does 1.14 need more memory? Or a exif problem

Norbert Hoeller nhoeller at sinet.ca
Mon Apr 20 13:02:30 UTC 2009

Alex, I have had problems in the past with thumbnails and resized images.
The problem can appear to be intermittent or affect images that in their
compressed form are smaller than images which seem to resize fine.  I am
on a shared hosting service that limits the amount of memory I can access.

At least in the versions of MediaWiki that I am familiar with, the 'stock'
code uncompressed JPGs before resizing them - this dramatically increased
the image size.  The solution that worked for me was to  switch to
ImageMagick (instructions at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_third-party_tools).  In my
case, I ended up installing ImageMagick myself, only to later find that my
hosting provider already provided a useable (if not the most current)
version.
        Regards, Norbert