[Mediawiki-l] Separate databases for text and images

Ekompute .info ekompute at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 22:20:20 UTC 2009

Hi, I would like to implement Wikipedia's image feature where it can
automatically link to Wikimedia Commons without downloading another copy of
the image. However, I do not want to link to Wikimedia Commons but to my own
separate database.

The reason why I intend to do this is because my webhost has suggested that
I do not exceed 200MB for my database. At present, I have already exceeded
this proposed limit because of all the images that I have downloaded. I was
thinking of breaking up Dummipedia.org <http://dummipedia.org> into a few
subdomains, but then realized that since text files do not occupy much
space, I might as well transfer all the images into a separate database.
This will avoid both linking and category problems.

Any advice will be helpful.

PM Poon