[Mediawiki-l] backup advice wanted

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Fri Jun 13 06:51:06 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Having learned the hard way that just doing Retrospect filesystem
backups does not always work on the database... I'm looking for advice
on how to do backups for our public wikis to minimize downtime when
we're doing server maintenance.

I've looked at the docs at:

	http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Backup

and I'm still a bit confused. Assuming that I'll be using mysqldump...
do I need to take the wiki offline during the dump process (the
discussion of mysqldump vs mysqlhotcopy seems to be inconsistent with
what's at the mysql.com website wrt using hotcopy with InnoDB
tables)?  Are there any tips people can share?

This came up during a migration of /usr/local/mysql and the apache
root directory to a new set of disks.  I had backed everything up to
another set of disks (actually this was temporarily using our dev
server as a firewire drive).  I pointed usr/local and apache root to
the backups in the hope that I could keep the wikis online while we
replaced the main disks on the production server. The plan was to keep
this running while we set up the new disks and then copy data back to
the new disks, change the symlinks for /usr/local etc to the new
places, and restart mysql and apache.  While this is going on, I've
disabled editing on the backup copy, but users should be able to view/
browse/search.    But mysql was very unhappy and wouldn't run from the
backups.  I ended up deleting all of the files from the backup copy of
the mysql data directory and rebuilding all the databases in the
backup from an SQL dump, with apache turned off for several hours.

I feel like there has to be a better way, even with our small operation.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Hu
Associate Professor