[Mediawiki-l] TinyMCE

Benjamin Horst bhorst at mac.com
Sat Aug 23 18:52:45 UTC 2008

I have to point out that a single space between sentences is not just
a web-ism, it is in fact the correct way to write in any digital
medium. This is because of the way letters and spaces are composed
digitally, versus the older way used by typewriters. Digital letters
take up whatever width is appropriate based on the actual width of
each individual glyph, whereas typewriters had a fixed width for all
glyphs (letters, symbols, digits, etc).

The hack of using two spaces on typewriters was necessary because a
lot of white space could appear between letters that were narrow, and
thus even more white space was needed to visually separate sentences.
The hack was not ever used in other media, such as printing presses or
in professionally typeset materials, and now that software can
intelligently manage the width of glyphs, there is no longer any need
for the double spaces between sentences.

It's been a long time since I used MS Word (OpenOffice displaced it
for me), but I recall the grammar checker would catch double-spaces
between sentences and mark it as incorrect. Is this no longer the
standard behavior?

I was reluctant and annoyed when first told about this--how could my
high school typing teacher have been wrong? But my company showed me
some online documentation (which I have since lost track of) assuring
me that single spaces between sentences is the correct way. And I've
adjusted and it works great.

-Ben