[Mediawiki-l] Authenticating users by NT login?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 11:59:47 UTC 2007

For an intranet MW installation, it may (or may not [*]) be a nice
feature to authenticate by their NT login, which is how they're known
to pretty much all other systems in this company and which would save
them remembering another password.

Is there anything for MediaWiki to either (a) pick up their NT logon
automatically or (b) ask for it and then get it verified from whatever
serves authentication? Has anyone gotten this working? I see various
plans mentioned on mediawiki.org to use NTLM (which I'm not sure how
to set up either). Though nothing about anyone getting NT logons for
use as usernames.

[*] "may not" in that tying our wiki infrastructure to our Windows
desktops strikes me as not the best idea if the company ever gets the
notion to free us from Windows; I'd rather not give anyone another
reason not to. OTOH, using their existing NT username and password
would save me quite some effort.

- d.