[Mediawiki-l] Is MediaWiki-l dysfunctional? What is it good for, really? and Re: Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri May 25 18:19:50 UTC 2007

> Arthur wrote: I have been following this
> discussion for the past few days and it
> seems to be going round in circles and
> getting no ware ...

Peter Blaise responds: I love puns!  ;-)

> Arthur wrote: ... http://httpd.apache.org/,
> http://www.php.net/, http://www.mysql.com/,
> Finally MediaWiki ... contact the relevant
> forums or mailing lists relating to the
> piece of software that is causing you problems ...

Peter Blaise responds: Thanks, but I'm ONLY trying to install MediaWiki
(and whatever it takes to support it), so everyone says, "ask somewhere
else"!  Go to Apache and say, "my goal is to support MediaWiki" and they
say, "ask MediaWiki!"  Go to PHP and say, "my goal is to support
MediaWiki, and they say, "ask MediaWiki!"  And so on.  What you're
saying is like asking for car performance tuning help and being told,
"did you ask the highway department about their road and how it's
supposed to handle?"  Argh!

> Arthur wrote: ... Alternatively you can try
> a WAMP package ...

Peter Blaise responds: Thanks, but do you now of any that *include*
MediaWiki ... since I'm trying to support MediaWiki?

As mentioned:

Cornelius Herzog's Wiki-on-WOS (WOS = Web server On a usb Stick) works
just fine on Windows without admin rights, and can run from a USB flash
drive or from an MS-DOS "subst" drive:

http://www.chsoftware.net/en/useware/wos/wos.htm?action=download

It does not require admin rights nor does it hammer the Windows registry
or Windows program and system file areas.  Wiki on WOS is a truly
portable uber MediaWiki!

However, it defaults to a single-user wiki!  It requires a manually
created list of IP addresses so it can be shared with more than one
user, so it has a narrow audience with ongoing support requirements to
expand it.

In a mere 6 hours, using Wiki on WOS and Word2Wiki (see: Gunter
Schmidt's and Fernando Correia 's Word2Wiki extension:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Word2MediaWikiPlus ), I built a
working MediaWiki on it with ~500,000 words containing the entire US
Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure* AND the all supporting law (see
http://tess2.uspto.gov/tmdb/tmep/ )

Thanks for the confirmation of a synopsis and confirmation that you also
have not found a concise, complete and accurate itemized checklist of
all decisions supporting "WAMPP/MW" - Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP,
PHPMyAdmin, MediaWiki.

-- Peter Blaise

PS - 6 MediaWiki references at apache.org, 25 at php.net ... they don't
really support each other.  I was hoping MediaWiki.org would be the
penultimate place to find focused, purposeful support all the
appropriate choices for all the underpinnings of MediaWiki, but ...