[Mediawiki-l] Is MediaWiki-l dysfunctional? What is it good for, really? and Re: Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Thu May 24 19:35:02 UTC 2007

> Gary wrote: What actually is your problem?
> What are you trying to do, that you cannot?

Peter Blaise responds:  ... aside from verifying that, yes (no?) there
are no COMPLETE install documentation at the moment for the entire
support suite for MediaWiki on Windows ...

I think we got past each other here and are all chatting about different
things, way off my intention as asked first April 6, 2007: "Any leads on
a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?"

THIS answer would have done fine:

[blank!]

Or this one:

"No, I don't know of any cradle-to-grave step-by-step documentation out
there.  All of it seems to be overviews and summaries, but some has
salient details, though, see [links].  Please post your own version on
MediaWiki.org when you can."

Or, my preference:

"No, but great question, so I just documented my own install - very
long! - and posted it to MediaWiki.org at [link] - have at it and see if
it works for you."

But the endless, "use Linux, Windows sux" or "you must be an idiot, why
are you askin' for help" or "we used our ISP, why don't you?" or "don't
ask here, this is MediaWiki chat only, NOT chatting about the computer
environment that MediaWiki depends on for it to work successfully" and
the ongoing amount of effort people go through to NOT address the
question or fill the need, but rather to denigrate the question and so
on just spins my head off!  Very entertaining and enlightening.

I'm reading " A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy" by Clay Shirky, April,
2003 at http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html with much
delight.

> jel wrote: ... this list is good for MediaWiki.
> Apache? PHP, mySQL? Not so much.

Thank you, jel.  Short and to the point.  I'm getting that!

I think many of us here are not installing on Windows, so anyone NOT
installing on Windows probably need not respond to my inquiry about
installing on Windows.  Duh!

Thank you to everyone who either offered Linux links in hopes of
offering supportive similarities, and thanks to everyone who contacted
me off list, those of you who recognized a genuine MediaWiki supporter
here, trying to make it work for my customers (when there are
off-the-shelf non-MediaWiki solutions, by the way).

But, no answer is way better than telling me my question sux and since
MediaWiki works for others, then my problems must not really exist!
Geesh!

> Gary wrote: ... I wonder how so many others manage it then...

Me too.  That's why I was askin'.

I'm a documenter.  I'll take it from here.

-- Peter Blaise