[Mediawiki-l] Usage of Templates

Ian Smith ismith at good.com
Wed May 23 22:32:12 UTC 2007

Azurite:

> I noticed on Wikipedia that there's a handy portion of the templates
> that says how the template in question is supposed to be used...

This is done with the <noinclude> tag.  For example, add this to your
template:

  <noinclude>
  == Usage ==
  text...
  </noinclude>

Stuff inside the noinclude section gets displayed when you look at the
template itself, but *not* when you include the template.  <includeonly>
is also useful.  See:

    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Template

Personally, I prefer to put the usage info on the talk page for a
template; then you can link to it explicitly.  There's then a
"Discussion" section after the help.  But that's a matter of preference.

Ian