[Mediawiki-l] File upload help

Jack D. Pond jack.pond at psitex.com
Fri May 11 14:49:42 UTC 2007

Mike,

Don't know if this is your problem, but many web servers also have a filter
on what they will allow as an extension.  For example, in IIS, part of the
properties of the web service in IIS Manager->[your web
service]->Properties->HTTP Headers->Mime Types is a complete list of all
mime types by extensions the server is allowed to serve.

For IIS, go into the IIS Manager, right click on properties for the virtual
directory, 'HTTP Headers' tab, "Mime Types" and add it to the type served.
Depending on your need, you can add this all the way up to the top (local
computer) and it will allow all sub-webs and sub-virtual webs to
upload/download that file type.

I can't remember the exact for most other Web Servers, but I'm pretty sure
it's in the httpd.conf for Apache.

IMPORTANT:  I cannot imagine any circumstance whereby you would allow the
upload (and possible execution) of a .cmd, .sys, .com, . . . File.  Unless
you are using this as a developer wiki in an extremely restricted
environment, it sounds like a wonderful way to compromise your system.

Jack D. Pond
CIO, Montgomery County, PA
(610)278-5200

"Computers are a more fun way to do the same work you'd have to do without
them."