[Mediawiki-l] Wiki became unavailable--problem recurred

Bill Egnatoff egnatoff at kingston.net
Tue Mar 20 13:55:17 UTC 2007

A few days ago I posted a problem that my wiki had become
unexpectedly unavailable (no Mainpage displayed). This seemed to be a
PHP memory allocation problem, as two people suggested. When I set a
generous limit in Localsettings.php

ini_set( 'memory_limit', '120M' );

the wiki reappeared. A day later, the same problem recurred and
increasing the limit further didn't help. The main page sometimes
displays as blank (on the first call) and sometimes returns the error
message (on subsequent calls):

PHP Fatal error:  Cannot access protected property
DatabaseMysql::$mOut in
/home/egnatoff/public_html/wiki/includes/Database.php on line 429

Versions
MediaWiki 1.9.2
My service provider uses
Linux, kernel 2.6.9-023stab040.1-enterprise
Apache 1.3.37 (Unix)
PHP 5.2.1
MySQL 5.0.24-standard
(access to files through cPanels)

Does anyone have any further clues? Thank you.

Sincerely
Bill Egnatoff

William J. Egnatoff egnatoff at kingston.net
Kingston, Ontario, Canada