[Mediawiki-l] Memory usage on webserver

zaydo zaydo at gmx.de
Sun Mar 18 20:28:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

I moved my Wiki (1.9) onto an own server (Apache2, php5, mySQL5), which
unfortunately does not have tht much memory (512 MB guaranteed, up to 1 GB
dynamically). For that I finetuned the Apache server processes which use
appr. 40 MB each. So far, so good.

Whenever I edit an article and press 'preview' the memory of one process
explodes to appr. 250 MB, and when I save the article, there's another
proccess using appr. 250 MB. Especially during busy phases (up to 2.000
hits/hour) the server may run out of memery, requiring me to restart the
server.

What actually happens during the preview/saving of an article, that Apache
wants that much memory?
Is there a way to reduce the 'memory hunger'?

Thanks, Udo