[Mediawiki-l] missing /config/index.php during new mediawiki install (was "HELP")

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed Jun 27 15:36:12 UTC 2007

> Matt wrote: Trying to install my mediwiki
> on my server and it's saying the
> /config/index.php is not found.  However,
> it said an alternative was available
> /config/index.html  this just brings me
> to my hosts login page.  I don't get it, i
> don't have an index.html!

Peter Blaise (of all people!) responds:  Hi and welcome, Matt.  Sounds
frustrating.  RTFM - read the factory manual!  So, what page of the
owner's instruction manual are you having difficulty with?  Hahaha -
just kidding.  ;-)

But seriously, Matt, tell us more.

You say: "installing mediawiki" - what version?

You say: "on my server" - what server?  Remote ISP?  Local Windows 2000?
Intranet Linux and you're at a connected workstation?

You say: "it's saying" - who does the pronoun "it" stand for?  It could
be one of many layers underneath MediaWiki.  MediaWiki depends on:
- an operating system (Windows, Linix...)
- web server (Microsoft IIS, Apache...),
- PHP,
- a SQL RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL...),
... and so on.  The message could be coming from anywhere.  Tell us how
much of the support stuff you have successfully running without error
messages.  For instance, can you get the PHP install and config screen
in your browser before you even download MediaWiki?

So, Matt, bring us to the exact point in your specific environment, and
we'll see what we can do to find out what's awry!

-- Peter Blaise