[Mediawiki-l] Looking for a Mediawiki contractor

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri Jun 15 10:34:59 UTC 2007

> Scott wrote: Looking for a Mediawiki
> contractor: Please include links of what
> you've done with Mediawiki in the past
> so I know what you're capable of.
> Thanks :)

GREAT IDEA, Scott,

... a listing/registry of independent MediaWiki consultants for hire.

Sometimes I think that THIS mediawikil mailing list is just such a
registry!  Read the archives and you'll see more than a few outstanding
and accomplished thinkers and problem solvers - probably just what you
are looking for.

Back at ya, Scott, what project are you working on?  Can you tell us
more about what you are up against?  What are your needs and resources
and so on?

Thanks,

- Peter Blaise

PS - To revisit my wiki challenge, as an offering example of what I'm
asking you for, Scott:
- Peter Blaise's wiki projects:
1, an in-house and the general public feedback-collector for writing
rules in support of regulations.  2, a data elements dictionary allowing
sharing and repurposing/recycling of columns and tables in our
databases.  3, a wiki on anyone's computer to document their workflow
and allow subsequent staff to update it.  4, allowing anyone to build a
self-managed wiki on their desktop to empower them to share and manage
anything of their choosing with any group of people of their choosing -
democratizing information flow.
We started with #1 only, and immediately the subsequent #2-4 grew
spontaneously, from both top-down and from bottom-up sources, as
people's imaginations just exploded with the potential of not needing
permission to share information.  Wiki - the anti-bureaucracy!
- Resources: none!  Well, just a few people's enthusiasm.  But, no money
or respect compared to anything labeled "CIO" or anything labeled
"Microsoft", for instance.  In other words, the people who think their
jobs are secure because they control information flow feel quite at risk
around a wiki.  My projects have already been sabotaged - one additional
motivator for me to get wikis everywhere, rather than centralize them,
so they are harder to find and kill.

... by the way, gang, does that help explain why my computer resources
may not have been behaving as predictably as yours, and so when you told
me to try something, and I couldn't accomplish success, there may be
more to it than my sheer naivete or obtuseness?  I work 4 days a week -
guess what happens on my day off!